22 January 2008

Thompson withdraws

It's official

Via Ace:

"Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the US. I hope my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people." -- Fred Dalton Thompson



Update 21:50

Well, crap. Now what am I going to do?

I haven't looked about the dextrosphere since I left the office, so I have no idea what all the cool kids are saying about this development. My blogging time is limited tonight, so I'll take it all under advisement and will advise soonest. A few thoughts, then it's off to bed, children.

From the short list of three, ('cause Huckabee is right the fcuk out...I've had quite my fill of liberal ex-governors from Arkansas, thankyouverymuch) it distills down to the evils of three lessers. As in "Who to I distrust the least?"

At first blush, it looks like Romney will have to do. I still can't get over the mental image of Guilani standing at the Handgun Control, Incorporated podium. McCain is right on The War, but oh so wrong on so many other things (McCain-Feingold, McCain-Leiberman, McCain-Kennedy, notice a pattern?).

Romney supposedly has some "magic underpants" issue that is a big deal to some folks, but I don't give a damn about a candidate's theology, as long as they are soundly conservative.

I truely thought that Fred Thompson was The One. So much so that I almost violated Michael's Second Maxim on the Big Issues: Never, ever donate money to a political candidate, a church, or a charity.

I owe you the backstory on that one: TheMissus™ has signed up (feminazi issues, whatever) as a "Friend of Hill's" or whatever Senator Clinton calls her posse and I had suspicions that she was considering donating some of our (my) money to Sen.Clinton's campaign. Fine. Whatever. I decided that if she did donate to Senator Clinton's campaign, I'd send double the amount to Fred Thompson.

She didn't, so I didn't; we're frugal, after all.

Yes, I included charities. Lower my taxes, and then I'll reconsider the "charity" issue. The fact that most charities are churches in drag will weigh heavily in my reconsidering.

Late, tired. You get the picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home