17 March 2016

The Marksmanship Restoration Project

it's about time...

so anyway, The Boy™ and I went to the range last month for some recoil therapy.  We shot up about a pound of .22LR, great fun was had by all.


Towards the end of the day, I set him up to shoot a target worth hanging on the front of the ice box.  I grabbed the binoculars to spot and he loaded up and started shooting.

BANG "Miss"

BANG "Miss.  Which target are you shooting?"

"The middle one"

BANG "Way high and way left.  On the paper, but not on the target"

BANG "Low and right, just outside the 8 ring"

"Dad, I think the sights are off on the rifle."

He handed me the rifle, and I took four quick shots.  All four were in the 9 ring. I handed it back and told him the sights were "on" enough to at least hit the black on the target.  We shot some more (he got better) and then it was time to go.

On the drive home we had a good laugh when I said "I hope the zombies don't apocalypse any time soon, 'cause neither one of us can hit shit."

Later, I took a good look at my target.  All in the 9 ring, sure; but all over the map.  If it were just the sights, all the misses should be closer together.

I looked at the rifle.  "It's not you, it's me".

So, I decided to work on it.  I knew from the Great Air Rifle Acquisition Project (I should tell that story sometime) that I can set up a 10 yard range in my small, but tiny apartment.  I took the scope off the pellet gun and got to working on my mechanics.  I decided that I'd take ten shots everyday, and actually work at getting better.

I'll start posting targets as I progress.

more soon

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home