24 August 2006

The Un-blog-storm

I told you I knew this was going to happen

so anyway, my travelling blogger plans went poof. There are some tales of the utter incompetence of some of the "vendors" I've dealt with over the past week that present proof positive of my plans going "poof"; but we'll leave that for another time.

Unable to blog properly, I slapped down some thoughts via NotePad earlier this week and I figured that, hey, it's already written, why not post it? So without further comment, here goes:

And The Beat Goes On

so anyway, I get to the hotel in Louisville all primed for a big night of blogging large to find an interesting (albeit pointless) placard instructing me in the ways of accessing the internets tubes wirelessly. As I am using my employer's laptop, and as my employer has deemed wireless access as unsecure and therefore verbotin, I am, in a word, screwed.

Let's back up, shall we to two weeks ago when I booked my travel arrangements. I called said hotel and had the following conversation with their helpful staff:

ME: Do you have high speed internet access in all of your rooms?
Them: Yes, we do.
ME: High Speed, as in physically plug in a cable to access the internets tubes; or wireless?
Them: Internet access is available in all the rooms.
ME: Not wireless? I mean, you have to plug in a cable to get access?
Them: Yes. Internet access is available in all the rooms.
ME: Not wireless?
Them: Right. Internet access is available in all the rooms.
ME: So then there's a cable that I can plug in to my 'puter for internets tubes access?
Them: Correct. Internet access is available in all the rooms.
ME: Not wireless access?
Them: Internet access is available in all the rooms.

Imagine my surprise, after I haul my laptop over two airplanes and three airports, to arrive and find that there's only wireless access. Fargin' Bastages. It appears that Holiday Inn has a serious training problem with their staff that answers the phones. I ground on the Manager on Duty for a while over this (not his fault, he's just the poor sap workin' 4 to midnight) but I think he'll relay the message on up the chain of command. I was quite emphatic and made my points well.

Yes, yes, I know; not having wireless internets tubes access is so 1998, but that the rules I roll under. The Man gives you a laptop, The Man makes the access rules. Believe me, it's not my employer that I'm pissed at.

I just realized that there's a McDonalds just across the street and that in the span of six minutes and three dollars; I could be eating three double cheeseburgers. Back in a flash

Sodding Wankers

The incompetence continues

so anyway, I dash out of my hotel room and quick time it across the street to the Golden Arches to be informed that they closed at 11:00 PM.

Bastards! If you are closed, turn off your friggin' sign!

doG, how I despise gas station food.

Accosted by bums

The saga continues

so anyway, riddle me this, Batman: why is it that all the indigents in Louisville are riding brand new mountain bikes?

I mean, I bust my hump every day for the past twenty-some-odd years, and I am still riding a bike that I literally bought in 1984? WTF, over?

This guy crawls out of a dumpster with his prizes and hops on a full suspension mountain bike and rides off. Another bum screeches to a halt on a new mountain bike to ask me if I have a quarter.

Is there some federal program that Matthew Lesko hasn't alerted me to? Call now and You can get a Brand New Mountain Bike, courtesy of Uncle Sam!!!!

I mean, I'm riding a ten (10!) speed Ross Mt.Washington that I bought in 1984. Yes, it has served me well, and I have more miles on this bike than most people put on their cars before they trade them in; but still, why do the bums get new bikes and I have to lumber on held together with hose clamps, duct tape and bailing wire?

I need answers, people. The staff meeting is at the usual time this week, and I want to see some progress.

thatisall

That about sums up my latest trip. More soon: I get to go to Nebraska on Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home