20 January 2009

Congratulations, Mr. President

we have a new Commander in Chief

so anyway, just in case you missed it, Barack Obama was sworn in today as the 44th President of the United States of America. Congratulations, Mr. Obama. I wish you all the best, because you are my President.

McQ of Q and O fame sums up my feelings most succinctly:

.....I wish President Obama success on those things in which we find common ground. And I promise him dogged but respectful opposition to those on which we disagree. I understand, no matter how much we disagree, that in reality Barack Obama has the best interest of the country at heart. But the same stands true for me. However, as the left never seems to learn, opposition does not have to mean hate.
Emphasis mine.

On the topic, McQ also shares this:
I read a story last night that said he was cool, calm and joking the day before assuming the office of President. It reminded me of my 1st parachute jump in Jump School. I too was cool, calm and joking as we chuted up for that first jump. I had absolutely no frame of reference for what I was about to do. But with the training I had undertaken in the 34 foot tower and the 200 ft tower, I pretty much figured I understood all I needed to know and, frankly, didn't think the jump would be that much different.

In fact I had no idea whatsoever of what it really was like to jump from a perfectly good airplane at 140 knots and 1100 feet. When I chuted up to make my second jump, it was a much more quiet, somber and reflective person (who was quietly terrified now that I knew what to expect). I think that sometime this week, Barack Obama will be in much the same frame of mind that I was when I headed out for my 2nd jump.

In keeping with McQ's idiom: Tomorrow morning, Mr. President, will be your first jump. You'll go from "I'm not (yet) the President, but I play one on TV" to the real deal, Thursday morning will be even harder. I'll be right there with you, as you are My President.

Melanie Phillips has some thoughts, as well:

The coverage is so gushing we might all drown. Of course it’s a great thing that America, with its history of slavery and segregation still a shockingly recent memory, now has a black President; the palpable joy of African-Americans is entirely understandable and deeply touching. And there’s no doubt that Obama is a highly charismatic and attractive personality.

But what’s more than a wee bit troubling is that the swooning hysteria reflects the fact that people appear to believe that as of today the world will be saved. Swords will be beaten into ploughshares, peace will be brought to the Middle East, Iran will be pacified, every American will have health insurance, poverty will be eliminated and utopia will have arrived.

h/t to Mike over at Cold Fury for the link. More on the "coverage" later. Let our new President have his day.

more soon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home