11 March 2006

An Interesting Question

and the answer escapes me

A recent commenter to this humble experiment asked the question "what are White Castles?" in response to my long standing offer to Mark Steyn:
".....if you ever find yourself in SE Michigan, I'll buy you not one, but two 40 oz. quarts of your favorite beer and all the White Castles you can eat."
(I'm surprised that the "40 oz. quart" reference went unchallenged. It's one of my favorite oxymorons, better than "jumbo shrimp" or "responsible engineer". But I digress.....)

The easy answer is to just post the link to the White Castle Home Page and be done with it. But that doesn't quite capture the essence of the White Castle experience, nor is it a fair answer to our commenter. Think about it; think about an Austrailian trying to describe Vegemite to someone in Ohio. How does one explain White Castle to one of our British cousins?
Technically speaking, White Castles are small, square hamburgers, roughly 6 cm on each side in plan view. The meat is grilled on a bed of chopped onions, the resulting sandwich is deliciously greasy. The burgers sell for roughly $0.45 USD each, or a sack of ten for $4.50 USD (go figure).
I find it hard to believe that it is a coincidence that White Castle places it's franchises adjecent to bars pubs and in student ghettos, but that's probably just the cheap vodka speaking.
In short, I think we can surmise that the White Castle experience must be well, experienced, so to SDJ I extend the following offer: if you ever find yourself in SE Michigan, I'll buy you not one, but two 40 oz. quarts of your favorite beer and all the White Castles you can eat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home