22 February 2005

Monday Night Wrap Up

Surely I’m not the only one who sees the obvious connection. And don’t call me Shirley.

Hunter S. Thompson has died. I know a lot of the VRWC could not be counted among Thompson’s fans; and to be honest, I’m not that well versed in his work outside of his Rolling Stone contributions. I first became aware of Thompson as he appeared as “Uncle Duke” in G.B.Trudeau’s “Doonesbury” comic. Back in the day, I read his Rolling Stone work and remember being amused at the time. I realize that his recent work was extremely leftist and that he was, by all accounts, a communist. Still, the loss of the man who P.J.O’Rourke credits as his inspiration should be noted with pause.

Then there’s Doug Wead. Jebeezus, where to start? Surely, I’m not the only one who sees the obvious parallel between Weed and Linda Tripp. I’m a little fuzzy about most of the goings on during billy jeff blythe clinton’s administration (the psychologists call it repression) but I do recall how Tripp was demonized for “secretly recording” conversations with her “friend” Monica Lewinski, then using the recordings for “personal gain”. The left and the MSM dismissed Tripp out of hand because of the subterfuge involved in obtaining the recordings.

Now we had telephone conversations between “friends” recorded “secretly” without the full knowledge and acquiescence of both parties that the MSM will be touting as the gospel truth, so that ultimately Doug Wead can sell his book for “personal gain”.

Curious.

It will be interesting to see what gets left out of the MSM’s reporting of these recordings, as there’s no obvious parallel between the Weed and Tripp examples.

Next thing you know, we’ll be seeing stories about hillary calling for a larger standing military. Yeah, like that will ever happen.....

*****Update*****
OK, I'm not the only one. Lileks spotted the Tripp / Wead parallel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home